Sunday, August 3, 2008

Jessica and Ed

When Jessica mentioned she wanted the "FREE" stamp to be part of her and Ed's engagement shoot, I knew it was going to be a fun night. I love adventurous couples that aren't afraid of heights, or to get a little goofy.


The backside of the stamp made a colorful backdrop.

Jessica and Ed were a joy to work with. They really knew what kind of shots they wanted and just went for it without hesitation. That's not an easy thing to do. Their behavior was a perfect mixture of playfulness, romance and drama.



We were shooting on the steps near Browns Stadium and Ed noticed some bay doors on a near-by building. He thought they would make a cool background. He and Jessica tucked themselves into the corner and waited patiently while I figured out the lighting. Ed's idea turned out to be a great one. These are some of my favorite shots of the session. The lack of expression makes these shots work for me. I like how they went straight into a corner as well. Corners give a sense of secrecy - like the couple are trying to find a spot hidden away from everyone else.
Jessica and Ed got soaked while doing this shot. The wind was blowing hard and was pushing the cascading water out of the fountain. Wet jeans can be uncomfortable, but I think this shot was worth it.
It was my turn to get a little wet. We switched positions and they moved to the other side of the fountain. The sun had set behind Lake Erie, but the sky still had some great color left.
The whole session was shot around Lakefront Ave. There were so many great spots to shoot, all within a few hundred yards of each other. I would have shot them all night if they would have let me. I am truly looking forward to their wedding next spring.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow...these pictures are awesome!! I'm amazed at what you did with the various use of lighting.
The shot we did at the wall with tricky lighting turned out awesome. I love how dramatic it turned out. Very very cool!!!
I'm really going to treasure these. Thank you so much for taking the time and going above and beyond, Justin! You rock!

Justin said...

Thanks Jessica. You and Ed made it easy for me. You guys were so great to work with. I had a blast. I'm looking forward to your wedding next May. I'll have the rest of the images posted on my site soon.